Once the surgery is suggested by a doctor, there are numerous thoughts and questions that start popping in the patient’s and their family’s minds. They continuously worry about the consequences, the risk that it involves, the pain that the patient would go through, what all help would be required and how much time the patient would take to recover, etc. while preparing for the operation.
However, while a patient is prepping for the operation, he/she must know that surgical recovery is different and depends on the nature of the operation that the patients go under. Every patient aims for a successful outcome after the surgical procedure. Nevertheless, patients usually suffer from discomfort which can cause an unwanted relapse. Most common causes of discomfort after surgery are the following:
- Pain and swelling around the incision area
- Sleeplessness and restlessness
- Nauseous from anaesthesia
Along with discomfort, a patient sometimes faces complications that may occur after an operation which may lead to re-hospitalization. The complications may include:
- Rapid blood loss from surgery area
- Drop in blood pressure
- Reduced Blood Flow
- Infected wounds
- Fever, cough, lack of breath
- Reaction to anaesthesia, etc
In terms of preventing such complications after surgery, a patient should be moved to the recovery room, often called thepost-anaesthesia care unit (PACU). From the monitoring of post-operative vital signs to the level of consciousness by skilled nursing staff it involves a proper procedure.
To shut out such avoidable risks at the best affordable prices, a patient should take help from the healthcare service providers. The group of professional and clinically experienced staff there, promote quick recovery and help the patient reach a positive outcome.
Through this article let us learn what exactly post-operative care is and how do home health care services benefit a patient with recovery.
What is Post-operative Care
Post-operative care is intense care required by a patient after surgery. Critical care concerning protection while traveling, pain control, maintaining the positive mental status of the patient and wound healing, all is taken care of during the post-operative period. Well qualified nurses are assigned to the patients for their well-being.
“Post-operative care is very crucial for the successful outcome of a surgical procedure.”
Intensive care is usually given to those who are recovering from a major surgery like a heart attack. Such big surgeries often require close attention by clinical staff who monitor patients frequently or minute-by-minute to ensure that the patient is stable.
Recovering from Surgery with Home Health Care Service
Healthcare professionals know how crucial immediate post-surgical care is for a successful outcome. They believe that a patient should not be left unattended immediately after the surgery. From the few days after the operation, the patients will not be able to take good care of themselves. So, places with a hospital setting but surrounded by the care of the loved ones can boost the healing process of the patient.
Having home like health care at the centers can benefit the patient in quick recovery, keep them safe and prevent any occurrence of complications. Most importantly, the companionate care from nurses and caregivers helps you to avoid the monotonous hospital stay.
As per the diverse nature of the operation, a home health care center personalizes the care that can fit the patient's needs. They make sure the instructions of the surgeon are followed thoroughly and personalized care is provided accordingly. A Home health care center provides a professional team of nurses and caregivers who follow a set of instructions given by the top doctors. They are available 24*7 around the patient to monitor the vital signs, support the patient with respiratory exercises and help regain mobility.
The nurses and caregivers take care of the patient by keeping in mind the following:
- Use antibiotics and surgical procedures to prevent infection in the wounded area.
- Treatment to stop blood loss, reduce heat loss, help with berating, prescribe medicines to raise blood pressure.
- Bleeding from surgical incision can lead to shock, the nurses provide treatment like a blood transfusion or minor surgery to control bleeding.
- Within 48 hours of surgery, patients often feel chest pain, feverish, shortness of breath. To avoid such situations nurses, keep a frequent check over the patient.
- Manage medication and record the consequence. If any allergies or reactions are being caused due to the prescribed medicines, stopping that medicine would be taken care of by the nurse. Alternative medicine will then be dosed on the recommendation of the doctor.
- The ambulance service is provided along with trained nurses by the health care center to transfer a patient from the hospital to the healthcare center and center to hospital for emergency medical treatment
In today’s time, post-operative nursing care service is a favourable option which provides cost-effective quality care that supports patients and their families. A Home Healthcare Centre is a phenomenal concept that indicates new opportunities for families wanting to experience well-budgeted care. Along with the hospital-like settings, it tailors personalized care for every individual since every patient has a different need.